- Uterine Fibroid Embolization (UFE) is a minimally invasive procedure that helps shrink uterine fibroids without surgery.
- UFE is performed by board certified interventional radiologists, medically trained physicians who specialize in performing catheter directed targeted treatments.
- Using a tiny catheter, the interventional radiologist blocks the blood supply to the fibroids by placing the catheter into the artery through the groin.
- Using X-ray imaging, the radiologist directs the tip of the catheter into the artery supplying blood to the fibroid.
- Plastic particles, which are smaller than grains of sand, are placed in that artery, blocking blood flow to the fibroid.
- The fibroid shrinks or dies completely from lack of blood flow.
- UFE is performed while you are sedated but conscious.
What are the Advantages of UFE?
- Uterine Fibroid Embolization is very safe and 90 percent effective in relieving or eliminating the symptoms of uterine fibroids.
- The procedure can treat multiple uterine fibroids in the same patient at the same time.
- Your stay in the hospital is less than 24 hours.
- Most patients fully recover within 10 days.
- UFE leaves all reproductive organs intact and preserves your ability to have children.
Is UFE right for me?
Drs. Sean O’Brien and Benjamin Henderson are Interventional Radiologists in Metairie, LA.
Call Terrie at 504-503-6137 today to schedule your free consultation.